Wednesday, December 10, 2008

AFTER THE RAINS; POTATO BAKE BUNS AND CINAMON FOR HIGH CHOLESTEROL































The monkeys and their babies came to visit us at our home at the feeding tables.  The little turtle now comes every day and loves pawpaw and bananas. 


The photos below was taken in the game reserve - isn't it beautiful after the rains? Look at the beautiful little baby impalas - this is especially for my daughter in the UK, she loves the baby Impalas.







































































My blog heading is quite a mixture of different topics but just had to share all of this with you.

After the problems experienced with my cholesterol tablets found this very interesting facts re cinnamon for high cholesterol levels.  It was found that the following mixture drinked as a tea can actually decrease cholesterol levels within a short time after taken : 
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 3 tablespoons of honey mixed with hot water.
On further investigation found that there is actually now natural products on the market made from cinnamon extract.  
I have decided to test these as the cholesterol tablets with statin does not agree with me.  Will inform you of results when I next have my cholesterol levels tested.

Back to baking and sorry again a bread recipe - we all love bread as a starter before a "braai"(barbeque) or other meals.  I was given this recipe the other day and it is delicious (not actually for my diet with the cholesterol problems, but defnitely for all others to enjoy.

500g white bread dough (made with yeast)
1 packet Potota bake mix (in South Africa we have Royco and Knorr, in UK I saw that Schwartz makes a Pototo bake mix, not sure of USA product)
250 ml cream (or for lower fat purposes Low fat Milk)
250 ml grated cheese (cheddar or any other cheese to liking)

After first rise of dough form into small balls and place next to each other in a baking dish or pan which is quite deep - height of a bread pan.
Leave in pan to double in size.
Mix pototo bake mix with cream. 
Pour mix over dough balls.
Cover with grated cheese and bake in an oven at 180 degrees celcius (356 degrees fahrenheit) for about 20 - 25 minutes until nice and brown.

Enjoy!!



1 comment:

Judy said...

Hi Laura, I'm really anxious to hear if the tea works. I'm borderline high so maybe if I drink the tea, I won't have to take the medication.

Your bread sound delicious but I'm not sure what potato bake is. I'll definitely have to check it out.