Saturday, November 15, 2008

RATATOUILLE BIRTHDAY CAKE FINAL

What a terrible week - my laptop did not want to start on Monday and had to send it in for repairs -only received it back on Friday afternoon.  Suddenly you can nothing - can you believe how computers have taken over our lifes?

At last I am able to blog again - will only be a short blog today as I unfortunately will have to work full out this weekend as I have not been able to process any work during the week without a computer.  

Re the birthday cake - I made all the little decorations for the birthday cake beforehand and on Friday afternoon we went to my daughter and son-in-law's game farm for the weekend for the birthday party for my granddaughter.  I had instructions from my little angel to please decorate the cake at the farm as she wanted to help me.  On arriving at the farm she immediately wanted
 to start on the cake, but after a while trying to convince her that Saturday will be better she came up with a plan............."I have a plan, the cake Saturday but then I want my birthday present tonight".  Naturally granny decided it was a good plan.

Saturday morning we went for a walk and then seriously started with the decorating of the cake.
I had to bake two cakes, one for the party for the family on Sunday and one for the party at the nursery school.  The best option was to make a dummy cake for the top layer with the main decorations on it.  The decorations for the bottom layers was easier to make and thus in double quantity.  When the cake had to be cut on Sunday the top layer was removed and again used on the cake for Monday.

The start of Ratatouille - my husband and other children at this stage was joking that it looks like a dragon or ET - much to the disgust of my granddaughter. 

Ratatouille was made from pastillage.  I found making the body seperate from the head easier.  I formed the body, inserted a wooden skewer for support and long enough to be inserted into the head for attachment to the body.  The arms was then attached and I used a plastic straw to keep the one arm away from the body as to be able to insert the wooden spoon on finalisation.

Somehow I could not upload more photos now - will try later on again - will then show more photos of the other decorations in making.

The wooden spoon, rolling pin, miniature cupcakes, gingerbread men etc were all made from pastillage or gum paste.

Herewith the finished cake - which was done with the help of little Alicia:











I will try again later and will add photos of the birthday party and the smaller decorations.

Have a lovely blessed weekend.

2 comments:

Lorilee said...

You are so talented! That is an awesome cake! Your granddaughter is very lucky!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Judy said...

I am impressed. The cake is beautiful. You are a very talented grandma!!